The Northern Illinois Soccer League (NISL) offers effective 2016, a NISL Club Linesperson for NISL Clubs at no charge. Currently there is a shortage of referees, especially young referees in the Chicagoland area. It is hoped that this will help the current situation by freeing up those referees that are assigned as assistants to become center referees.
Upon completion of all requirements and a passing of the linesperson exam they can be assigned by their club to assist the assigned referee.
US SOCCER POLICY 531-8-SECTION 3
Use of Club Linesperson
When neutral assistant referee are not assigned or fail to appear for a match as assigned, the referee may seek the assistance of CLUB LINESPERSONS whose duties shall be delegated to them by the referee.
- Minimum Age: 12 Years old
- Training: Clubs are required to provide position training for each candidate
- Games: No minimum number of games required
- Testing: Complete club linesperson exam and a 75% passing grade
- Assessment: Game referee at the end of each game
- Fitness Test: Able to keep up with the last defender at the age of the players they are lining
- Age Appropriate Requirement: When lining, Club linespersons must be a minimum of 2 years older than the are participating in the game.
All NISL Club Linespersons are covered by liability insurance, as a member of the NISL and US Club.
Linespersons 18 and over will require a National Background Checks annually from the NISL.
NISL will provide each Club Linesperson with a NISL/US Club credentials and 1 short sleeve and 1 long sleeve shirt.
- Application Form
- Club Linesperson Responsibilities, Requirements & Duties
- Entry Level Exam
- Laws of the Game (FIFA)
- Referee Signals YouTube Link
Please Send The NISL Linesperson Application Form and the completed Entry Level Exam to the NISL League Office.
Northern Illinois Soccer League (NISL)
Attn: Club Linesperson Program
545 S. Consumers Avenue
Palatine, Illinois 60074
If you enjoy being a Linesperson and want to make the next step to becoming a center referee, please contact the Illinois Soccer Referee Committee